Monday, February 22, 2010

It puts the pen to the paper.

When you get right down to it, I am a lazy procrastinating complacent bastard. Okay, the bastard part isn't true but the rest is. I am well past the stage of denial when it comes to this issue. This is really coming into play with life post film school. There are no deadlines or someone standing over you to make sure you continue on down this path you have chosen. That path for me is writing and directing. To partially combat this laziness o' mine, I have started a writing group of classmates and prior alumni.

The whole point of this group is to get together and work on your scripts in whatever state of completion they may be in. Be it one sentence pitch, one paragraph pitch, or final draft. You read your work in a round-robin format and then everyone tears it apart hoping to make it better. This structure helps me stay on target as I don't want to shame myself for showing up without anything new. That and it will hopefully turn my scripts from drivel to greatness. I will introduce the group to you, the reader, at a later date.

Our third meeting is this Saturday and I have a rough draft of my next short for the ready. This project is still in the gestational phase. It's all zygotes and what not. I will do a few more drafts and then move on to the next phase of pre-production, of which there are many. It's not to say I don't enjoy screenwriting. I really do. It's solitary and quite fun honestly. I need to to do it more often. For those of you that are dying to know, I use the Final Draft program on my fancy-dancy MacBook. (notice the absence of the word "pro" after Macbook) *insert sadface here*

Apart from procrastinating, I also partake in other activities while I should be working on my scripts. Activities such as this blog. And with that I am leaving you with an interesting article about screenwriting in Hollywood. It's a juicy read.
-b

3 comments:

Cynical Siren said...

ahhh, the lazy writer. I know that life well

rommy said...

A) you are a bastard.
B) did you really use zygote in a sentence?

mrbuckyk said...

CS: Twinsies!

Rommy: It's actually an artsy piece where everyone is dressed like zygotes, eggs, and sperms.