Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hunt & Peck

Still in the midst of post production on our Documentaries, we began the week with a lecture on Inqscribe. If I remember correctly, Inqscribe was created for legal transcribing. We are learning how to use it for transcribing our docs. What you do is bring your un-edited interview that has been captured into Final Cut Pro program into the Inqscribe program, press play and start transcribing. The nice thing about this program is that you can time stamp at any point to give you markers for editing. It's incredibly user friendly and I would love it if I could type well. As it stands I type using my index fingers and thumbs. Occasionally I get a little crazy and use my pinkies. Watch out now! Achim who is a current staff member and past student at SFSDF taught us the Inqscribe program.

Tuesday night we were with William again and we worked with Final Cut pro that night. We did a great exercise where we created an animated clip from scratch which we will add sound effects and music to it a later date. The animated clips were 30 seconds long. I made a clip about randoms circles/balls bouncing and landing in beat.

Due to MacWorld being in town, there was a SuperMeet in town on Wednesday night. SuperMeet is for the the Final Cut Pro User Groups or FCPUG and it organized in part by the SF Cutters. I ditched class and attended this lecture series. I know, I know... I like to live dangerously. It was a pretty cool night. I actually learnt quite a bit and knew what most people were talking about. haha. Lots of vendors were set up before the lecture and them post lecture there was a raffle with some incredibly sweet gifts being given away. I won nothing. Insert sad face here. The people who spoke at the event were as follows: Christine Steele, Bruce Nazarian, Craig Yanagi of JVC, Apple, Eric Escobar, Yun Suh, and M Dot Strange. Not everything applied to me but I am glad I attended.

Thursday night was back to school and back to working with William. William introduced us to SoundtrackPro which is another Apple program that you use to create what? Anyone? Anyone? Soundtracks. We learnt how to create and add both music and sound-effects to our short films using this program. As an exercise we create a audio drama using only sound effects. Mine was about an alien ship landing in the middle of a crowd, attacking the humans, and the humans fighting back. Next we created a multi-layered song using the program. Very cool yet very large in scope program.

Saturday brought us another work at your own pace editing lab. This was led by Stacy, past student/current staff. I transcribed all damn day. My typing skills are horrible.

Being that school is closed on Sunday, I rested. Then I went and saw a Swedish Vampire movie with my lovely wife. Let The Right One In. Go see it! Great flick.

1 comment:

rommy said...

ugh. did you really use the word "learnt"?