Sunday, January 25, 2009

Documenting the home stretch.

One week of editing was all that stood between me and being done with this documentary. I realized during this project that I really don't have a huge desire to tackle another documentary. I can't imagine tackling a documentary feature film. Tons and tons of work. Seems like it would be a labor of love... Now if it was something I was completely passionate about, I bet I could work on it. (I know I am completely contradicting myself right now). The other issues regarding docs are that they don't garner a huge audience, typically don't make money, and take a couple of years to make. A concert doc. would be pretty cool... I should start contacting artists that are coming into town.

With editing completed and a few lectures thrown in for good measure (paper chase, markers, sub-clips) I entered the Thunderdome that is group critique. This go round was led by Jeremiah Birnbaum, who is the other co-founder of the school. I do believe this was my first official class with him. He is super laid back and very welcoming.... I just wish my project was better being that this is his first exposure to my work. Speaking of which, we watched it and all the complaints I had myself were shared by others. Not enough B-Roll and main interview out-of-focus.

Lesson learned. Now time to move on to the CHALLENGE FILM!!!!

4 comments:

Quinn said...

Congrats and keep up the good work. What is a challenge film? Sounds, um... challenging.

mrbuckyk said...

Thank you my good man. Challenge film is our third project and it can either be narrative or documentary. It is called a challenge as we are left to our druthers to pick an area of filmmaking in which we want to focus to challenge ourselves. It is a little redundant tho as at this point in school, all of it still feels like a challenge. I believe it is an accomplishment to finish a film at any level, be it a student short or a hollywood blockbuster...

rommy said...

how could you leave the main interview out of focus. amateur.

rommy said...

thank goodness you stopped updating your blog. i was getting sick of it.