Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Challenge.

Out with the old and in with the new...

Project three is up and running for us and it is a challenge film. We get to choose whether or not to make a documentary or a narrative film and it is referred to as a challenge film as we are supposed to challenge ourselves with a certain aspect of filmmaking. Which is a little on the odd side as most all of filmmaking is a challenge. I choose dialog/screenwriting as the area I really want to hone in on.

We started off this go 'round with a lecture titled Producing 3. This is our first lecture on producing, so maybe you can explain to me as to why it is considered and titled the third? A mystery for the ages. Jeremiah led this lecture and I was enraptured. Simply put we covered the business side of filmmaking: SAG, Shooting on Location, Production Insurance, Music Rights, Stock Footage. SAG stands for Screen Actors Guild and they do have an office in San Francisco which we are now supposed to contact for our future projects. Shooting on location from a producers standpoint covers the logistics and permits of acquiring the permission to shoot on public and/or private land and will involve contacting the San Francisco Film Commission. Music and footage rights is rather self-explanatory... hopefully. Really great night of class. Just one of those nights where I left feeling happy that I am doin' what I do.

We went from desk work (Monday) to studio work (Tuesday). The learning exercise and lecture was geared towards lighting for movement. Our goal was to film a scene, with no break, where an actor pulls up in a car OS (off-screen...boom, dropping knowledge) walks around a corner down a small hallway, opens a door, enters a room, and sits in a chair. Therefore we had to make/simulate: moving headlights, hall-light, door-light, and natural lighting for a room. Great exercise. Something of interest, or something that I find interesting you last from your end point and work your way backwards.

Wednesday night was a movie and discussion class. Frankly, being the movie nerd that I am, i love these nights and wish we did them more often, but I understand that it takes away form lecture time. Movie screened... Bubba Ho-Tep. Bruce "gimme some sugar, baby" Campbell.

Thursday night was pitches with James, which sounds like a lame-ass sports show. I enjoy pitching and listening to and critiquing others pitches. It involves a lot of "group-think" which I believe is rather necessary in the film world. My pitch went really well and received the almighty Green Light! Dun-DUH!!!!!!

Saturday class cancelled due to a nasty flu bug rampaging through school... which I totally got. Ugh.

No comments: