Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lessons and Lamentations.

Things I've learned while editing my last short:

-Get a master shot of the entire scene. I have a couple scenes where I just have the master (or 2-shot) of the beginning of a conversation between two characters and not of the whole conversation. Not having that master shot has made editing the scene more problematic, particularly when the conversation picks up in pace and is a bit on the rapid-fire side.

-Wear headphones and listen to the audio.

-Use a monitor and watch the scene while filming or during playback.

-Slow down and focus on the acting and not so much on marking off the shot-list.

-Take control of the day.

These are all things I have been taught in the past, but for some reason I did not put them into play. Neat.

I have a really good rough cut assembled and I have hit the point where I feel like I have something. It doesn't always feel that way when editing. Now I need to balance sound, smooth out transitions, license and add music, and then add opening and closing credits. Then I have another short to edit... Then and only then will I allow myself to work on another script.

Things I have been digging as of late: Circuital by My Morning Jacket, Restrepo (Military Doc.), The King's Speech, Super 8, Never Let Me Go, The Killing, Game of Thrones, All Access: A Beastie Boys Megamix by Z-Trip, Hellhound Ale by Dogfish Head.

No comments: